LONG ISLAND, NY – Suffolk County Police Fourth Precinct officers responded to an incident during which 17 workers were exposed to carbon monoxide at a business in Hauppauge this afternoon.
Fourth Precinct officers responded to Liqui-Mark, located at 30 Davids Drive, after a female employee complained of a headache and nausea. Hauppauge Central Islip Rescue responded and carbon monoxide detectors alerted responders to high levels of carbon monoxide. The Hauppauge Fire Department tested approximately 30 employees of which 17 tested positive for carbon monoxide exposure.
Carbon monoxide is a gas that is both colorless and odorless, which makes it very difficult to detect. Throughout the day, we are all exposed to small levels of carbon monoxide which is harmful if too much is inhaled. Any exposure to carbon monoxide becomes critical if it causes an inability to breathe.
The woman who felt ill was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center in West Islip with non-life threatening conditions. The other 16 victims felt no symptoms but were transported to Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center, Southside Hospital in Bay Shore, and St. Catherine of Sienna Medical Center in Smithtown, for treatment.
The business is closed pending the repair of an air conditioning unit that is believed to be the cause of the high levels of carbon monoxide. Additional detectors are also being installed.
The Smithtown Fire Marshal also responded and the investigation is continuing.
Stay aware of the common devices that produce carbon monoxide. They can include heaters, fireplaces, car mufflers, space heaters, charcoal grills, car and truck engines and portable generators.
Disclaimer: News articles on this site may contain opinions of the author, and if opinion, may not necessarily reflect the views of the site itself or the views of the owners of NewsLI.com, Long Island Media Inc., or Long Island Exchange®. For more information on our editorial policies please view our terms of service.